Thursday, October 19, 2017

October TBR & Currently Reading


October is here - it's been here, it's the middle of the month -oops! And I totally neglected to post my TBR list for the month. So instead, I'm letting you know what book ( or in this case book, I've only read one book so far this month...fail, but also a win because the book was so, so good) what books I still need to read, and a book that I DNF'd this month, which is super rare for me. For the full scoop, check out the video above, or just keep reading!




Turtles All The Way Down
by John Green

goodreads // amazon // library

"Turtles All The Way Down" is a book I have been waiting for since I read my very first John Green novel in February 2013. It's been a long time since I have anticipated and been excited for a book as much as I was for this one - and it is did not disappoint! "Turtles All The Way Down" is one of my favorite reads this year, and also one of my favorite books, period. If you haven't picked up this book yet, I really encourage you, too. I feel like there are so many different camps with popular authors like, John Green. I am personally in the " I unapologetically love him, and all of his books" camp and could not be more pleased with this book. It captured so perfectly and poetically the psychic pain of anxiety and OCD and the internal conversation and conflict that intrusive thoughts can create. Click below to view a 60 second book review I created for "Turtles All The Way Down" by John Green.




The Bone Witch
by Rin Chupeco

goodreads // amazon // library


I went into reading "The Bone Witch" knowing that I might not like it. I had seen a couple of YouTube reviews for the book from individuals I enjoying watching and generally agree with book wise, and those reviewers had not enjoyed it. But since I had won a free copy from a Goodreads giveaway, I figured why not - plus, it seemed like the perfect read for October! About one hundred pages in I realized, this book was not for me. I genuinely felt like I was reading a book that was in another language. I was only "getting" parts of the plot, conversations, character dynamics- and it is hard for me to put a finger on why. The biggest turn off for me while reading was the changing perspectives. After each chapter there would be an italicized portion, and I was just frustrated by how much I did not understand about that section. Either this book is a really challenging read or it leaves to much responsibility on the reader to figure out what is going on - either way I did not enjoy it enough to finish it and DNF'd about 30% of the way through.

Station Eleven 
by Emily St. John Mandel
 
goodreads // amazon // library

Usually I would be bummed about DNFing a book- and I might've struggled through it a little longer, but there are just too many good books out there that i want to read! Especially since joining the online book community - my TBR list is out of control. "Station Eleven" is a book that I have had on my list and have desperately wanted to read for a long time - and since I DNF'd, I think I'll actually get a chance to do it in October. Which considering the post apocalyptic setting, this books sounds like a great fall read. Just the right amount of spooky, and those tents on the front look extra cozy. I have heard such good things about this book from other readers and reviewers, and I really hope that I like it as much as they seem to have!

Final Girls
by Riley Sager

goodreads // amazon // library

I am about to finish up "Final Girls" by Riley Sager. This was my Book of The Month club pick a few months back, but I saved it for October, because - duh : ) There have been some really neat things, and some slightly frustrating things about this book. I'm shocked that I have only about twenty pages left and I really don't know how this book is going to end! If you enjoy books where you genuinely have no idea "who dunnit" - this is a great book for that. Sometimes I feel it leaning towards a more predictable ending, but even if that is what happens, overall this has been an enjoyable read! Click below to view a 60 second book review I created for "Final Girls" by Riley Sager.






Column of Fire
by Ken Follett

goodreads // amazon // library


This book, the whole series, is just such an outlier to my usual book preferences- but I love this series! I am only about 50 pages into this book, and I am not even sure I'll be able to finish it in October. It is HUGE, all of the books in this trilogy have been, but they are so much fun to read that I don't even care that they are basically 1000 pages each. Which considering how much I usually despise long books - that is saying *A LOT* for this author and series. Butttt I do feel like this book is a little different so far, I haven't been swept off my feet just yet by the story or the characters, but when you are only 5% of the way into an epic read like this, you can't expect too much!




And that's my reading plan for the month of October! What books have you read this month? Are you sucking at meeting your goals, like me with my one measly book read, or are you rocking your TBR list this month!? Let me know below in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I loved the first two books in the Ken Follett series, and I'm looking forward to starting Column of Fire, but you're right, it is sooo long! I need to be in the right frame of mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's like running a book marathon! I have been switching between the audiobook and the physical, and that has helped a lot!

      Delete
  2. I really want to read Turtles All The Way Down and I need to find the time for it! I'm currently swamped with books for uni so I don't know if I'll get around to it any time soon but hopefully in the new year I will have a chance. I have read 2 of John Green's books already and he just seems like a really great person in general so Turtles is pretty high on my list. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Katie, and I hope your reading for the rest of the month goes just as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helia! Good luck with knocking out those uni reads and I hope you find time for "Turtles" soon!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!